Officer Abhay Assumes Charge As DGP And Head Of Odisha Police Force
Officer Abhay, a 1986 batch IPS officer of Odisha cadre, has assumed charge as the Director-General of Police (DGP) and head of Odisha Police force. Abhay took charge from Satyajit Mohanty, who was commanding the State Police as the interim DGP, in a special function organized at Police Headquarters at Bhubaneswar.
Earlier in November, the Odisha government had announced the appointment of Abhay as the DGP after removing BK Sharma, who has been appointed as Officer on Special Duty (OSD) to Home Department. No specific reason was stated for BK Sharma’s transfer to another department by officials.
Post taking the charge as the DGP, Abhay interacted with the press to brief about six paradigms that he would focus on during his tenure. The areas of focus are mentioned below:
- To keep running Naveen Patnaik’s flagship initiative ‘Mo Sarkar’ so that issues can be attended & complainants can be equipped with due relief.
- To maintain the smooth functioning of the Government’s 5T Mantra. “Efforts will be made to bring transformation in policing by adopting technology, teamwork, and transparency within a time limit,” said Officer Abhay.
- Checking and preventing offenses against women and other marginalized sections of the society, with the most competent investigation and fast conviction for these criminals.
- Containing and controlling Mao Menace.
- Containing and controlling organized crime/mafia issue
- To work on bringing further improvement on the investigation process
The 1986 batch IPS officer was serving as the Director of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy in Hyderabad, before his posting as the head of Odisha Police.