Odisha Launches Unique Land Parcel ID Number
Odisha has launched the Unique Land Parcel Identification Number (ULPIN), a 14 digit number that will have details of plots, on a pilot basis. Plot details such as its size, longitudinal and latitudinal attributes up to the tehsil level and beyond will be available under the unique 14 digit number.
The ULPIN was launched by Union Secretary of Department of Land Resources (DoLR) Ajay Tirkey and State Principal Secretary of Revenue and Disaster Management Bishnupada Sethi.
Odisha was selected for piloting the project as it is a pioneer state in the best practices regarding land records, said Mr Sethi.
Following are all the details regarding the newly introduced ULPIN:
- The unique number will present an open, transparent, and efficient process for the development and maintenance of land documents.
- Every subject related to the collection of taxes and ownership of the plot can be traced utilising one single number.
- Land is often used by farmers as collateral for loans and clear records will simplify the process.
- ULPIN can be provided in both cases – with and without geo-referencing though essentially it operates with geo-referencing.
- Notably, ULPIN would be a singular and authoritative reference of information for any land parcel or property that can be utilised by any organisation demanding land-related information.
The ULPIN has already been introduced in three areas – Barkhandia and Kandeijori of Deogarh tehsil and Barakhol of Riamal tehsil. The three regions have been geo-referenced.
“The benefits of ULPIN are multitudinous. The single source of information can authenticate the ownership and in turn, it can end the dubious ownership. It will help identify the government lands easily and protect the land from shabby land transactions,” said Sethi.
Ajay Tirkey, during the launch, praised the administration of Odisha on multiple segments like digitisation of records, cadastral maps and integration of textual and spatial records.