Nabarangpur in Complete Shutdown as Odisha reports Highest COVID Spike
The Nabarangpur district administration has announced a 3-day complete shutdown as COVID cases continue to surge. The lockdown will begin at 5 am on August 8 and continue until midnight on August 10.
During the shutdown, non-essential activities and movement of vehicles and people will also be restricted.
As per the official circular issued by the collectorate, only the following activities will be allowed:
- All medical establishments including hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, including medicine stores. — Movement of Ambulance and all medical personnel.
- District / Block and Municipal Administration/Police/Fire Services.
- Central & State Government officials on emergency duty.
- Telecom services
- Petrol pumps.
- Print and Electronic Media identified by District Police.
- Water Supply, sanitation and sewerage workers.
- Electricity supply and distribution.
- Movement of goods and goods carriers, whether loaded or unloaded.
- Industrial establishments, factories and construction activities.
- Agriculture, Horticulture, Fisheries, Animal Husbandry, Veterinary Services and allied activities, including procurement at Mandis.
- Service Sector industries including lT/lTeS, Hotel & Hospitality units.
- Operation of hotels and hospitality units including their associated offices, movement of staff and associated personnel.
- Road transport on highways, road movement of transiting vehicles.
- Marriages and Funerals, with permission of District Authority.
- Operation of Bus Station and their associated offices, movement of associated personnel and activities.
- Home delivery of food, groceries, vegetables and essential items by restaurants.
- Dhabas along the National and State Highways/Major roads for takeaway only.
- Milk Booths.
Meanwhile, the following activities are strictly prohibited during the shutdown:
- Gathering of persons in Nabarangpur district jurisdiction in any public or private places except gathering inside house or house premises.
- Non-essential gatherings and assemblies such as seminars, workshops, and conferences.
- Social gatherings and assemblies such as religious functions, marriage receptions, parties, etc.
- Marriage Barat/ Opera shows / and other functions.
- Political rallies/gathering for agitation.
- Kalyan Mandap functions where public gathering takes place.
The circular also urges citizens to remain vigilant about the following points:
- Hotels, where people stay on a regular basis coming from outside, should keep all precautionary measures of COVID-19 like sanitizer and isolation room during the period.
- Anybody with signs and symptoms like cough, fever, or difficulty in breathing should call the district helpline No.06858-222459, Mobile No.9439988787, 9439988468/ District COVID Control Room No.06858-22243417077450077.
- The Sub Divisional Magistrate, Nabarangpur/ Executive Magistrates, LLC concerned are hereby directed to keep a close watch on gathering of individuals in their respective areas.
- Rumour mongering, misinformation in social media will be dealt with very sternly.
Notably, Odisha recorded the highest single-day spike in COVID cases with 1833 new cases. Khordha district reported a record 298 cases followed by Ganjam (279) and Rayagada (152). This takes the total tally of COVID cases in the state to 42,550. Out of these, 15,370 are active cases while 26,887 have recovered. Meanwhile, 247 people in the state have lost their lives due to the virus.