Odisha Government Requests Centre to Tweak Vaccine Allocation Ratio

The Odisha government has asked the Centre to tweak the allocation of vaccines between the State and the private entities. Currently, the ratio stands at 75:25, which Odisha proposes to change to 95:5. The reasoning behind this request has been conveyed through a letter from the additional chief secretary, PK Mohapatra, addressed to the Ministry of health and family welfare secretary.

“It has been mentioned that 25 per cent of monthly production of vaccines by domestic manufacturers can be directly procured by private hospitals. However, till date, only four private hospitals in Odisha have been able to procure vaccines directly from the manufacturers”, said Mohapatra.

The request was made as the count of private hospitals in Odisha is very low, which sums up to about five per cent of the overall healthcare sector. Therefore, under the current guidelines, the state is losing out on its proportionate share of 25 per cent allocation which is supposed to be taken up by the private sector.

Earlier last week, PM Modi announced that from June 21, the Centre will be distributing COVID-19 vaccines to all the states. The PM said that the states will procure 75 per cent of all the vaccines produced in India and supply them to adults free of cost, while the private hospitals can procure the rest 25 per cent and administer those at a fixed price decided by the Centre.

The central government has fixed the price of the Covishield vaccine at Rs 780, Covaxin at Rs 1,410 and Sputnik-V at Rs 1,145. The amount of service charge, which might be added by the private hospitals, has also been capped at Rs 150.

Notably, Odisha has so far administered 8.94 million doses of Covishield and Covaxin vaccines to the beneficiaries.

Leave a comment