Odisha Corona Update: Ganjam Turns into a Covid-19 Hotspot
As corona cases continue to surge across Odisha, here’s a quick update of all major developments that took place in the last week – from July 6 to July 12 – concerning Covid-19.
- Covid-19 positive cases are on the surge in Odisha with over 500 new infections reported every day. The following graph provides a snapshot of the new cases reported day by day.
- The total deaths in the state due to coronavirus surpass the 50 mark. Currently, the number is at 70.
- Ganjam continues to remain a Covid-19 hotspot with a steady increase in the number of cases. It records a total of 1799 new infections in the week gone by. The following graph depicts the top 5 districts in Odisha that recorded the most Covid-19 infections between July 6 to July 12.
- A super-spreader infects 95 persons in Rourkela as authorities continue contact tracing and containment efforts.
- Contamination in workplaces across the capital city of Bhubaneswar becomes a worry for officials. Many cases emerge in private hospitals, government offices, and even on the campus of IT giant Tech Mahindra.
- Two MLA’s test Covid-19 positive. While BJP’s Sukanta Kumar Nayak became the first victim of the virus, BJD’s Prasant Behera followed suit. Reports state Behera might have contracted the virus by coming into contact with Nayak.
- Chiranjit Dhibar, a 30-year-old resident of West Bengal’s Durgapur, becomes the first person to participate in the clinical trial of the COVID-19 vaccine in Odisha.
- In this period from July 6 to July 12, a total of 4220 new corona cases have been reported from across Odisha. Meanwhile, 2526 persons recovered from the virus in the last week.