Mindtree Co-founder, Wife Pledge 210 Cr for Bhubaneswar Cancer Hospital

Odisha government on Monday approved the proposal for the establishment of a state-of-the-art cancer hospital at Bhubaneswar. The hospital will be set up by Bengaluru-based Sri Shankara Cancer Care Foundation, a charitable institute. Subroto Bagchi, Co-founder Mindtree and Chairman of Odisha Skill Development Authority, along with his wife Susmita Bagchi, has pledged Rs 210 crore for the cancer hospital.

As per reports, about 20 acres free of premium land in Infocity-II, Bhubaneswar will be allotted to the Bagchi-Sri Shankara Cancer Hospital and Research Institute. The hospital is expected to be operational by 2024.

The proposal was approved by the State Cabinet chaired by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik. As per the proposal, the facility will initially be equipped with 250 beds with an aim to upgrade it to a 500-bedded cancer hospital.

β€œIt will be an oncology centre of excellence with academic and research facilities with major categories of services such as surgical, medical and radiation oncology, imaging nuclear medicine, paediatric and haemato-oncology and centre for lung disease,” the state government said.

Notably, around 25% of the total capacity will provide free treatment and another 25% will cater to patients supported under different government health schemes. The remaining 50% will pay for the services. The revenue generated will aid in the expansion of the facility and supporting the poor patients.

Meanwhile, the Cabinet also approved the proposal to establish a Bagchi-Karunashraya Palliative Care Centre at Bhubaneswar. This facility will be the first of its kind in Odisha, to be built by Bengaluru-based Karunashraya Hospice Trusts in collaboration with the Bagchi couple who pledged Rs 130 crore for the centre.

The centre also aims to extend palliative care at homes by providing proper training to local doctors, health care providers and caregivers.

Leave a comment